The Mechanicsburg Art Club began July 13, 1954 by a group of people whose common interest in art brought them together. That interest in art has proven to be of value to themselves and to the community. The goal of the club then, as it is now, was to develop and provide an outlet for the inherent talent within the community and to further the cultural development of its society. The Club provided the means for freedom of expression and growth to those who wished to seriously pursue art, as well as those searching only for an external interest to broaden their background.
At first, the newly formed Club met and studied in a church basement. Then the Club found a home in a building locally known in the Mechanicsburg area as the “Egg House” at corner of Railroad Avenue and Strawberry Alley. It was called the Egg House because it was where farmers used to bring eggs to sell. The group was under the guidance of its first elected president, Mr. Harry Kirk. During 1961, the headquarters was moved to 117 North York Street (in Mechanicsburg) in what was once Stephenson’s Grocery Store.
In 1970, the Club filed with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania for a charter, which was granted that year. On Sunday, May 2, 1971, the members of MAC held a business meeting to vote on the proposal to purchase of the old Grouse barn, a large white barn off of West Trindle Road, outside of downtown Mechanicsburg. The motion passed, and the first classes were held in the Barn later that year. Dave Keefer was Board President at the time.
The Club offered classes, workshops, and exhibits, and members’ works were displayed at the Barn as well as at many other places in Southcentral Pennsylvania. Sometime in 1978 the Club became known as the Mechanicsburg Art Center.